If you are a functional user of NetSuite working within a finance team, becoming SuiteFoundation certified is not going to massively benefit you or your career. There are however plenty of courses and other NetSuite accreditations that would suit.
One such award is the NetSuite Financial User certification. This certification will confirm to employers that you have the knowledge and skills to navigate NetSuite effectively and use it for all necessary finance and accounting tasks.
If a company that uses NetSuite is hiring for an accounting role applicants with this certification are going to stand out from the crowd.
In this article, we will delve into all aspects of the NetSuite Financial User certification. I’ll cover which subjects you need to study, how you should prepare for the exam and how to register and the associated costs.
What is the NetSuite Financial User Certification?
The NetSuite Financial User certification confirms users have expertise in the accounting and finance functionality of NetSuite.
This certification is aimed at individuals who have experience of using NetSuite from the perspective of an accounting role. It is also expected that users sitting this exam have a general interest in the system. They will likely be aware of the release cycles of NetSuite and perhaps show an interest in new features that will affect their role.
NetSuite suggest at least three months in an accounting or finance role using NetSuite prior to sitting this exam.
There are no mandated prerequisites to this certification. There are only training recommendations which will be covered in the Preparing for the NetSuite Financial User Certification Exam section below.
The Financial User certification is not necessarily the right path for users in dedicated systems roles. If you work as a NetSuite Administrator for an end user or work as a NetSuite Functional Consultant then the skills required to pass this exam will be useful but there are more appropriate paths.
You may be interested in looking at the ERP Consultant certification instead which is more likely to be aligned with your career path.
Benefits of the NetSuite Financial User Certification
Holding any NetSuite certification is a great way of standing out from the crowd.
When talking about the Financial User certification, your crowd is other finance professionals working with NetSuite.
There are tens of thousands of companies, worldwide, using NetSuite for their accounting. Being a great accountant doesn’t necessarily mean you are great at accounting systems. Holding this certification will give peace of mind to potential employers that you will know how to navigate their books and perform the necessary tasks.
The process of studying for the certification exam will also teach you about features and product attributes you may not have come across yet. It is likely that simply studying for the exam will make you a better NetSuite user.
Many NetSuite professionals come from a background in accounting. It is a great foundation for working with a finance system. If you ever choose to move away from a functional finance role and focus on NetSuite as a career path, holding this certification will certainly not hurt.
NetSuite Financial User Exam
The Financial User exam is conducted online. The exam is proctored, however, and an invigilator will be monitoring you via your webcam. If you look away frequently or speak out loud they may display a warning on your screen!
Here’s what else you need to know:
- Exam Format: The exam consists of 30 multiple-choice questions that must be completed in 60 minutes.
- Passing Score: I do not believe the actual passing score is publicly available at this time. Based on other NetSuite tests and exams, however, I would advise aiming for confidence in completing 80% successfully.
- Exam Topics: The Financial User certification exam covers a range of topics generally falling under the following subject areas:
- Subsidiaries, Classifications, Chart of Accounts
- Accounts Receivable
- Billing Schedules
- Accounts Payable
- Banking and Payment Processing
- Journal Entries
- Expense Allocations
- Financial Reports and KPIs
- Period and Year-End Close
- Exam Weighting: The spread of these subject areas is not necessarily even and in turn the available points will vary. Without knowing the scoring in detail the best approach to protecting yourself here is to thoroughly analyze the NetSuite Financial User certification study guide. This is an official document from NetSuite that will give you a breakdown of most of the topics within each subject area that you should study in order to become proficient.
Preparing for the NetSuite Financial User Certification Exam
The Financial User certification is not the hardest to obtain but it does have a different target audience to many of the other awards. Either way, no one will sit an exam unless they want to pass it so don’t forget to put the work in to your preparation.
All the resources you need to sit a successful exam are available to you. Make sure you utilize them.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Fully Understand the Exam Topics: Before you start studying, familiarize yourself with the subject areas to be covered (scroll up to find these listed). This will help you focus your time and energy in the right places. There are a lot of subjects covered in this exam but remember to give them all the study time they require.
- Complete the Recommended Training Courses: The Study Guide provided by NetSuite only lists one recommended training course and that is NetSuite: Financial Management. If, however, you have access to a Learning Cloud Support Pass, you should absorb as much as you can. If there are any other courses that delve deeper in to any of the exam topics then register for those also.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: One of the best ways to prepare is to practice with your Sandbox and sample questions. Here you will find a sample test. There is only one of these so don’t waste it! I do recommend sitting the sample test at least twice to familiarize yourself with the structure and style of questions.
- NetSuite Help Center: Don’t overlook the benefits of the NetSuite Help Center. Dig in to all the required topics via the Help Center to get a thorough understanding of all facets from NetSuite’s perspective. There is further information about the Help Center and other free resources in this article.
- Schedule Your Exam: Once you feel comfortable with the material, schedule your exam in advance. This will help you stay motivated and focused on your study goals. With it being an online exam there are plenty of options and availability so you can choose a date that suits you.
Remember to give yourself enough time to study and practice. It can be hard when you have a full schedule of day job tasks but set time aside each day and you will thank yourself in the future.
Cost and Registration for the Financial User Exam
This certification exam is available to the public and does not benefit from any NetSuite discount’s you might receive on your renewals and other product purchases.
For this reason the pricing for this, and all other certification exams, is readily available. Registering for the NetSuite Financial User certification exam will cost $150. If you fail and need to re-take the exam this is still $150.
If your business has invested significantly in NetSuite and are looking at expanding the finance function, you may benefit from speaking to your HR department about the training budget. Before paying for the exam yourself find out if your business has a budget for this type of training. You might save yourself $150.
To register for an exam you need to have log in details for the Webassessor platform.
Within the Webassessor platform you can select a date and time for your exam. It is an online proctored exam that is administered through the same Webassessor platform.