If you have completed your SuiteFoundation certification you will want to start thinking about how you can further define you specialism in NetSuite expertise. There are three main paths you can go down to become fully certified. One of these routes is to complete your NetSuite ERP Consultant certification.
The NetSuite ERP Consultant certification is geared towards functional specialists who are somewhat experienced with leading or assisting in end to end implementations of NetSuite.
If you’re aspiring to enhance your skills, validate your expertise, and stand out in the current market of functional consultants, you might want to consider sitting for this certification.
In the following sections, we will delve into the core aspects of the NetSuite ERP Consultant certification. We’ll discuss what the certification entails, the subjects you will need to study, how to prepare effectively and the associated costs.
What is the NetSuite ERP Consultant Certification?
The ERP Consultant certification accredits users who have the expertise to implement the core modules of a NetSuite ERP system.
This certification is best suited to individuals who have experience of implementing at least a few systems end to end. This should include experience configuring financials, analytics, subsidiaries and data security as a minimum.
NetSuite suggest a candidate should have experience of performing 5-10 medium scale, or 2-3 enterprise NetSuite ERP implementations1.
From a customization perspective the ideal candidate should be able to use the UI customization options but is not expected to have any scripting knowledge. They should, however, be able to identify when a solution may require scripting.
The ERP Consultant certification route is less suited to developers or in-house admins If you are managing a single NetSuite system, the skills required to become a certified ERP Consultant will certainly benefit you but there are other routes that are more aligned with your career path such as Administrator certification.
Benefits of the NetSuite ERP Consultant Certification
The most obvious benefit of gaining the ERP Consultant certification is to signal to employers that you are knowledgeable and experienced in your field. The NetSuite job market has been fantastic the last few years but there are more and more people transitioning to this line of work from other systems or from finance roles. Things might not always be this easy!
Holding a NetSuite certification is a great way of standing out from the crowd.
This certification in particular is especially important as it is mainly NetSuite partners and agencies that will be hiring certified consultants. These types of businesses know all about the certification process and may actually benefit from having another certified NetSuite professional on their books.
The process of studying for the certification exam will also shine a light on features, tips and product attributes you may not have been aware of. Candidates for this certification should already have a solid foundation of NetSuite knowledge but this will mostly have been learnt organically. The exam preparation will help clarify best practices and preferred methodologies.
NetSuite ERP Consultant Exam
The ERP Consultant Exam is conducted online. The exam is proctored, however, and an invigilator will be monitoring you via your webcam. If you look away frequently or speak out loud they may display a warning on your screen!
Here’s what else you need to know:
- Exam Format: The exam consists of 80 multiple-choice questions that must be completed in 120 minutes.
- Passing Score: To my knowledge the actual passing score is not publicly available at this time. Based on other tests and exams from NetSuite, however, I would advise aiming for confidence in completing 80% successfully.
- Exam Topics: The ERP Consultant exam covers a wide range of topics generally falling under the following 5 subject areas:
- Data Strategy
- Exam Weighting: The spread of these subject areas is not necessarily even and in turn the available points will vary. Without knowing the scoring in detail the best approach to protecting yourself here is to thoroughly analyze the NetSuite ERP Consultant certification study guide. This official document, from NetSuite, will give you a breakdown of most of the topics within each subject area that you should study in order to become proficient.
Preparing for the NetSuite ERP Consultant Certification Exam
I’ll be honest with you – The ERP Consultant exam is no walk in the park! Preparation is key. Even experienced NetSuite consultants will need to thoroughly study the subjects areas in great detail. We don’t often memorize things like navigation paths or locations of preferences but these are the kinds of things that you will be expected to know.
With the right strategies and resources though, you can feel confident and ready on test day.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Fully Understand the Exam Topics: Before you start studying, familiarize yourself with the subject areas to be covered (scroll up to find these listed). This will help you focus your time and energy in the right places. There is a lot covered in this 2 hour exam so spend that study time wisely
- Complete the Recommended Training Courses: The Study Guide provided by NetSuite lists ten training courses they recommend taking prior to the ERP Consultant exam. Even if you have been working with NetSuite for many years I would still advise taking these courses. They can be found in the NetSuite Learning Centre. If you do not have access to the Learning Centre speak to your Administrator or NetSuite Account Manager. The recommended courses are as follows:
- ERP: Fundamentals
- Inventory Item Costing
- NetSuite: Administrator Fundamentals
- NetSuite Certification: ERP Consultant Exam Preparation
- NetSuite: Financial Management
- SuiteAnalytics: Financial Reports and Searches
- SuiteAnalytics: Advanced Searches
- SuiteCloud: Exploring the NetSuite Platform
- SuiteFlow: Workflow Fundamentals
- Using Accounts Receivable (AR)
- Practice, Practice, Practice: One of the best ways to prepare is to practice with demo accounts and sample questions. NetSuite provides demo accounts that allow you to explore the platform and test your knowledge in a simulated environment. Additionally, here you will find a sample test. There is only one of these so don’t waste it!
- NetSuite Help Center: Don’t overlook the benefits of the NetSuite Help Center. Dig in to all the required topics via the Help Center to get a thorough understanding of all facets from NetSuite’s perspective. There is further information about the Help Center and other free resources in this article.
- Schedule Your Exam: Once you feel comfortable with the material, schedule your exam in advance. This will help you stay motivated and focused on your stud goals. With it being an online exam there are plenty of options and availability so you can choose a date that suits you.
Remember to give yourself enough time to study and practice, and don’t be afraid to reach out to other NetSuite professionals for help and guidance. The Oracle Community boards are very open and friendly so, if you are not already using these, get signed up.
Cost and Registration for the ERP Consultant Exam
One of the few pieces of pricing NetSuite is open about is that of their certification exams. At the time of writing the cost to sit the ERP Consultant exam is $250. If you fail the exam and have to retake, the cost goes down to only $150.
Since the achievement of this certification can often benefit employer as much as employee, some organizations will be willing to front the cost. Before paying for the exam yourself speak to your manager or HR department to understand if they have a budget for this type of training.
To register for an exam you need to have log in details for the Webassessor platform.
Within the Webassessor platform you can select a date and time for your exam. It is an online proctored exam that is administered through the same Webassessor platform.