Are you interested in pursuing a career in the NetSuite space? If so, you may want to consider becoming certified.
There are a number of different specialist routes you can go down once you know what aspect of the system you want to be working with.
The first step in certification, regardless of which specialism you choose, is SuiteFoundation. Achievement of this certification demonstrates your understanding of and skills in the NetSuite platform and can give you an edge in the job market. It is by no means a requirement to a successful career working with NetSuite but it can certainly give an edge over other applicants and also serves as a great introduction to features, functionality and best practices that will help you become a better NetSuite expert.
But how do you pass SuiteFoundation? In this article, we’ll provide tips and strategies for successfully passing the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam. We’ll cover everything from preparing for the exam to what to expect on test day, so you can feel confident and prepared when the big day comes. Let us help you navigate the SuiteFoundation certification process and get you on to the next step of your NetSuite career.
Understanding the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam: Format, Topics, and Weighting
Before diving into how to prepare for the SuiteFoundation Exam, it’s important to understand what the exam is, it’s format and what it covers.
The NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam is generally conducted online. The exam is proctored, however, and an invigilator will be monitoring you via your webcam. Here’s what you need to know:
- Exam Format: The SuiteFoundation Exam consists of 65 multiple-choice questions that must be completed in 80 minutes.
- Passing Score: To my knowledge the actual passing score is not publicly available at this time. Based on other tests and exams from NetSuite, however, I would advise aiming for confidence in completing 80% successfully.
- Exam Topics: The SuiteFoundation Exam covers a wide range of topics related to NetSuite setup, administration and use falling under the following 5 subject areas:
- NetSuite Setup & Administration
- NetSuite User Interface
- Standard NetSuite Process Flows
- Maintenance, Resources, and Data Security
- Exam Weighting: The spread of these subject areas is not necessarily even and in turn the available points will vary. Without knowing the scoring in detail the best approach to protecting yourself here is to thoroughly analyze the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam Study Guide. This official document, from NetSuite, will give you a breakdown of all (most!) the topics within each subject area that you should study in order to become proficient.
It’s worth noting that the SuiteFoundation Exam is designed to test your understanding of NetSuite’s core functionality, rather than advanced features or customization. That said, NetSuite will sometimes surprise you. Don’t be afraid to go above and beyond with your preparation. Look at some of the more advanced processes, dig deeper in to some of the topic areas, take note of specifics.
It’s a challenging exam that requires thorough preparation and knowledge of the NetSuite platform. With the right study materials and strategies, however, you can increase your chances of passing and earning your SuiteFoundation certification.
Strategies for Success: How to Prepare for the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam
Preparing for the SuiteFoundation Exam can seem daunting, even for experienced NetSuite users. We don’t often memorize things like navigation paths or locations of preferences but these are the kinds of things that you will be expected to know.
Preparation is paramount. This is not something you want to jump in the deep end on. With the right strategies and resources, you can feel confident and ready on test day. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Fully Understand the Exam Topics: Before you start studying, familiarize yourself with the subject areas to be covered (scroll up to find these listed). This will help you focus your time and energy in the right places. Don’t waste useful study time on modules or features that are not going to be covered.
- Complete the Recommended Training Courses: The Study Guide provided by NetSuite lists four training courses they recommend taking prior to the SuiteFoundation exam. Even if you have been working with NetSuite for many years I would still advise taking these courses. They can be found in the NetSuite Learning Centre. If you do not have access to the Learning Centre speak to your Administrator or NetSuite Account Manager.
- ERP Fundamentals
- Administrator Fundamentals
- SuiteFoundation Exam Preparation
- Sales Force Automation Fundamentals
- Practice, Practice, Practice: One of the best ways to prepare for the SuiteFoundation Exam is to practice with demo accounts and sample questions. NetSuite provides demo accounts that allow you to explore the platform and test your knowledge in a simulated environment. Additionally, here you will find a sample test. There is only one of these so don’t waste it!
- NetSuite Help Center: Don’t overlook the benefits of the NetSuite Help Center. Dig in to all the required topics via the Help Center to get a thorough understanding of all facets from NetSuite’s perspective. There is further information about the Help Center and other free resources in this article.
- Schedule Your Exam: Once you feel comfortable with the material, schedule your exam in advance. This will help you stay motivated and focused on your studying goals. With it being an online exam there are plenty of options and availability so you can choose a date that suits you.
Remember to give yourself enough time to study and practice, and don’t be afraid to reach out to other NetSuite professionals for help and guidance. The Oracle Community boards are very open and friendly so, if you are not already using these, get signed up.
Tips for a Successful Test Day
On the day of the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam, it’s important to be as prepared and as focused as possible. This starts long before you even see the first question.
The exam is conducted on the Webassessor platform. Make sure you log in to Webassessor early to set everything up. You will need to download some software and maybe fill out some documentation. Don’t leave this to the last minute.
Although this is an online exam, it is proctored. Do not have papers or phones close by and ensure you have a glass of water to hand. You will not be able to leave once the exam has started.
Once you have started, read every question carefully. You technically have around a minute and a half for each question. These are all multiple choice so that shouldn’t be a rush. If you are unsure, or taking too long, then flag the question and move on to the next. You can always return to your skipped questions at the end.
Finally, use all the time you have been given. It’s not a race. You are able to end the exam early but there is no need to. Go back and double check all your answers. Maybe you’ll change your mind on a second look.
Following Your Exam and Next Steps After Becoming SuiteFoundation Certified
You will be given your results immediately after completing the exam. In the days following, you will then get a confirmation of this result via email and a certificate. Ensure you tell everyone in your business that your are now a certified NetSuite professional.
After passing the SuiteFoundation Exam, you may also want to consider pursuing additional NetSuite certifications or exploring new career opportunities within the NetSuite ecosystem. There is plenty of information on the NetSuite website about the other certifications available and you can also review the learning paths in your NetSuite Learning Centre.
Overall, passing the NetSuite SuiteFoundation Exam requires focus, hard work and a solid amount of experience using the system. With the right preparation and mindset, you can achieve this milestone and take your NetSuite career to the next level.
Are you new to NetSuite? Certification is designed for experienced NetSuite professionals. If you do not yet have that experience why not get started with the following articles: